This pair of torcheres came from the Richmond home of Alexander Wilbourne Weddell who served as the US ambassador to Spain from 1939 to 1942. The decoration of the shafts is identical to the vertical members of the huge choir screen in the center of the medieval hall of the Metropolitan Museum. The Met’s ironwork is very well documented, having been removed from the Cathedral of Valladolid, where it was installed in 1763, and given to the museum by the William Randolph Hearst Foundation. These are undoubtedly from the same time and place and may well have come from the same Cathedral. The worn gilded surface seems to match.
We have included a few photos we took in the Met on our last visit.